I have to admit, I love the humble chia seed. My friends make fun of me sometimes, but that’s cool. I’ll keep picking them out of my teeth post-breakfast for the rest of my life. It’ll be my hobby. Crazy cat ladies are out… crazy chia ladies are where it’s at now! (only noooo because I love cats)
I’ll never forget the first time I made chia pudding. I was so grossed out. I thought it looked like alien eggs.
Nevertheless, I persisted.
Perhaps it’s my fondness of aliens that didn’t completely turn me away from them in the first place (thanks Mulder) but I’ve always been one for strange textures as well.
Also? It’s just too easy to prep! I always feel like I’m performing a bit of black magic when I make anything with hydrated chia. They enter the liquid as little seeds and emerge a foreign cluster of alien eggs ready to colonize the planet.
Have I made this sound just SO appealing yet?
It’s the Spooky Foodie Trifecta. Aliens. Black Magic. Superfoods. And away we go….
Blueberry Chia Seed Jam
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
Note: If you don’t have, or don’t like flax, you can just use more chia seeds if you like
- Add the blueberries, water, and honey to a pot over medium heat and wait for the water to boil.
- Let the blueberries boil for several minutes, then, with a fork or a masher, smoosh the blueberries against the side of the pot. You don’t have to get them all. But it’s fun to watch them burst.
- Boil the mixture for 5 more minutes, add in the chia and flax seeds, and remove from heat.
- Give the seeds about 10 minutes to hydrate (it may look pretty runny until that happens but never fear, the black magic will do it’s work)
- Let cool and store in a jar in the fridge!
I like putting this on toast, adding it to oatmeal or porridge, or even mixing it into smoothies! The possibilities are endless. Keep your eyes peeled for a companion recipe that may be coming this way in the next couple of weeks (and try not to eat it all before then)
And there we have it. You just got jammed! (s/o to my Parks and Rec fans)